The Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB) launched the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union (ECCU) Public Debt and Market Information Web Portal during a regional media conference held on 23 July at the ECCB Headquarters, Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis.
This initiative, an important deliverable in the ECCB Strategic Plan 2017-2021, marked another milestone in the Bank’s ongoing enterprise to build out a financial market infrastructure within the ECCU that is fit for a modern, strong and diversified financial system.
In collaboration with Member Governments and the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the ECCB developed the Public Debt and Market Information Web Portal out of a desire to ensure that the public has accurate and timely information available to make informed decisions. Potential users include:
- an investor considering the purchase of government security;
- a credit rating agency assessing the creditworthiness of a government;
- a regional or international financial institution undertaking surveillance;
- academics and students carrying out research; and
- Media practitioners seeking current and accurate information from a credible source.
Another critical objective of this initiative is to broaden the investor base for the Regional Government Securities Market (RGSM), a major component of the Eastern Caribbean Securities Market.
The ECCB recognises that information is a public good and that the dissemination of relevant and timely information is an essential element in the transformation of the ECCU.