The 24-hour curfew comes into effect from 6PM on Saturday March 28, 2020 and ends on April 14 at 12:00AM. During this lock down period, persons must stay at home except for those carrying out functions as an essential service or business provider; seeking medical care; conducting a banking or money transfer transaction; caring for a family member, vulnerable person or pet, engaging in exercise activity, and shopping for necessities (food, fuel and medicine). Bill payments at MUL and telecommunication companies is discouraged.
The Government of Montserrat has instructed essential businesses or services to operate as follows:
The essential services are:
1. air traffic (including meteorological, telecommunication, security, fire and crash services
connected with airports) services;
2. fire, prison, defence force or police services;
3. medical, health, hospital, infirmary or nursing home services;
4. telecommunications or broadcasting services;
5. water, electricity, or sanitation services;
6. immigration, customs or postal services;
7. services connected with sittings of the Legislative Assembly and meetings of Cabinet;
8. services connected with the loading and unloading of ships and with the storage and delivery of goods at, or from a dock, wharf or warehouse operated in connection with the dock or wharf;
9. public services connected with the payment of salaries, pensions and other benefits, in government departments, agencies; statutory bodies and arms-length bodies;
10. services connected with the Judiciary;
11. services connected with essential government functions as determined by the Deputy Governor;
12. airport, seaport, civil aviation or ferry services;
13. a service that is granted permission, by the Minister of Health, to offer an essential service.
All non-essential services, organizations and departments must close until April 14, 2020.
Persons engaging in exercise can do so alone or in a gathering of no more than 4 people from within one’s household. Additionally, exercise activities are only permitted from 5AM to 8AM or from 3:00PM to 6:00PM
The airport and the seaports are closed, with the following exceptions:
- Only Montserratians, are allowed to disembark (arrive) on Montserrat;
- A person arriving for the purpose of aiding in the treatment, control and suppression of COVID19.
- Medical evacuations
- Courier (postal) services