Montserrat to Finalise National Infant & Young Child Feeding Policy
The Ministry of Health and Social Services is collaborating with the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) and the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), to conduct a validation workshop aimed at finalizing the development of the policy for the island. The workshop will be held on Wednesday, August 14 and Thursday, August 15 at the Montserrat Cultural Centre (MCC).
The Ministry of Health noted that the policy, once finalized, is expected to allow for the implementation of standards which promote and support breastfeeding or another suitable alternative for mothers who are unable to breast feed.
The objectives of the workshop are to:
1. To review the National Infant and Young Child Feeding Policy with stakeholders;
2. To identify the policies/actions already ongoing at national level, that could contribute to the achievement of any of the Policy Objectives;
3. To identify the preferred order of priority and sequencing of policy implementation actions;
4. To discuss the institutional context in which the policy shall/could operate at national level;
5. To identify key capacity areas to be improved at the national level to coordinate follow up and sustain the implementation of the policy.
The policy will be based on regional and international standards and will be adapted for the Montserrat.