Montserrat Hosting OECS Credit Union Summit
The St Patrick’s Cooperative Credit Union Ltd will host the 13th Annual OECS Credit Union Summit here August 19-23, 2015. This represents the first time since the advent of the OECS Credit Union Summit that Montserrat will be hosting this very prestigious event.
According to an official release from host Peter Queeley, “approximately 125 overseas delegates have already confirmed their attendance at the summit, which makes this year’s summit one of the largest in terms of participation. Participating OECS countries include Antigua & Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, and St Vincent and The Grenadines. There are also confirmed participants from none OECS countries such as Barbados and Jamaica..
The Theme for this year’s summit is “The Future of the OECS Credit Union Movement in the context of the OECS Economic Union and Single Financial Space.”
“The objective of the summit is to provide opportunities for the credit union movement in the OECS to receive training, network and share knowledge and foster the growth of the movement in the region thereby ensuring that this unique model of “Doing Business” does not die; in spite of the challenging and changing environment.
“The conference will feature a formal opening ceremony to be held between 9:00am and 10:30am on August 20, 2015. The highlight of the opening ceremony will be the flag raising and national anthem presentation of the participating countries. The feature address at the opening ceremony will be delivered by the Hon. Premier and Minister of Finance Mr. Donaldson Romeo. Brief remarks will also be made by the Hon Eastern Taylor Farrell representing the Parliamentary Opposition and the President of the SPCCU Board of Directors, Mr Eugene Skerritt. The opening ceremony will also feature cultural presentations to include Rude Boys String Band and the Emerald Shamioles Masquerade.
A number of presentations are scheduled to be made during Summit to include the following two local presenters:
1. The Hon. Minister of Agriculture, Trade, Lands, Housing and The Environment, Mr Claude Hogan
2. Mr Peter Queeley, General Manager of the St Patrick’s Cooperative Credit Union Ltd
Overseas presenters include the following individuals:
1. Lt Col, Edward Croft, Director of the Office of National Drug and Money Laundering Control Policy- Antigua and Barbuda
2. Miss Michelle Martin, Compliance Specialist, Compliance Aid- Antigua and Barbuda
3. Mr Rawlinson Isaac, Chairman, Bank of Nevis Financial Group
4. First Citizens Investment Services Ltd – St Lucia
5. Mr Anthony Pilgrim – General Manager – Barbados Cooperative Credit Union League
6. Mr Grady Clarke- Caribbean Credit Bureau Ltd- Barbados
7. Credit Union Fund Management Company Ltd – Jamaica
8. Mrs Susan Thompson – Chief Operating Officer- Jamaica Cooperative Credit Union League
9. Mr David Wan, Vice President, Cuna Mutual Group- Trinidad and Jamaica
10. Mr Bill Poulter, Millennial Vision, Inc, Utah – USA
Radio Montserrat (ZJB) is expected to air live the Opening Ceremony and the presentation by Hon Minister of Agriculture, Trade, Lands, Housing and The Environment, Claude Hogan.
The Summit also features a networking lime to be held Friday August 21, 2015, starting at 7:30pm, at Marine Village in Little Bay. Delegates will also take part in an island tour scheduled to take place on Saturday August 22, 2015.
Participants are expected to begin arriving on island on Tuesday August 18, 2015.
The hosting of the Summit in Montserrat will provide a well needed injection into the tourism sector as businesses and persons plying their trade in areas of hotels/ guest houses/ villas, restaurant and catering, transportation and tours will be positively affected.