Montserrat Union of Teachers has elected a Youthful Executive
The Montserrat Union of Teachers held its 35 th annual Teachers’ Convention at the Look Out Primary School’s Auditorium on 11 November 2016. Elections were held and the following persons were nominated and successfully elected:
President: Miss Denise Silcott
Vice President: Miss Jose White
Secretary: Miss Charliena White
Treasurer: Miss Jamila Greenaway
Public Relations Officer (PRO): Mr. Neilson Duberry
Floor Members: Mr. McCloyd White, Mrs. Althea Sweeney
The new executive held its first meeting to chart the way forward on Monday November 14, 2016. The following are some of the short and long term goals outlined:
- Increase union membership
- Discuss required Code of Ethics and Teaching Performance Standards with the Ministry of Education
- Discuss and suggest areas of Continuous Teacher Development with the Ministry of Education.
- Salary increases for teachers across the education sector.
- Better working conditions for all teachers.