Winners of the MVO Poetry Competition Announced
Judging 189 entries which were of a high caliber was not an easy feat, said Cathy Buffonge, one of four judges for the 2017 Montserrat Volcano Observatory (MVO) Poetry Writing Competition.
Winners were announced during the recent Alliouagana Festival of the Word. The theme was Restless Earth. MVO Director Dr Rod Stewart said it was quite interesting to hear how different age groups expressed the theme in pieces which ranged from performance to narrative. The director said it was a nice departure from a focus on the volcano, to hear poems about other natural disasters, politics, and the issues that concerned the writers.
Entries were submitted in six categories, one of which was an adult section.
The full list of winners are below:
Grades 1 & 2
- Winner -Â Thaisia Hilton,Â St. Augustine Primary
- Runner-Up -Â Shakayla Turton,Â St Augustine Primary
Grades 3 & 4
- Winner -Â Randia Fenton,Â Brades Primary
- Runner-Up -Â Jaazani Hackett,Â Brades Primary
Grade 5 & 6
- Winner -Â G’Ovaughny Browne,Â Lookout Primary
- Runner-Up -Â Deaughaine Dolcy,Â Brades Primary |Â Neah Joy Francois,Â St. Augustine Primary |Â Omari Reece,Â Lookout Primary
MSS Forms 1, 2 & 3
- Winner -Â Tie:Â Jermahri Meade &Â Oneilla Campbell
MSSÂ Forms 4 & 5
- Winner -Â Asma Muhammad
- Runner-Up -Â Tafari Eshe &Â Zarana O’Garro
- Winner -Â Yvonne Brade-Julius &Â Ron Barzey