This Saturday, there will be some familiar voices returning, after a long hiatus to the stage in the 2019 Calypso Eliminations.
Henry Sweeney, now performing as Jaguar, is competing after a seven-year absence from the local show. He was one of the first singers to release their song on local radio ahead of the show. Guilty is his confession of feeling a need to return to the stage despite saying he was done with singing calypso.
Nyota Mulcare, performing as Black Pearl, made her first and only appearance on the calypso stage in 2007. Mulcare, who is also president of the civil service union said the recent issues with the deputy governor have driven her to sing about it. She will be performing Let Fairness Reign in the eliminations.
There are currently 33 calypsonians registered to perform and rehearsals are in full swing with the Black Rhythms Band, led by former monarch and prolific songwriter, Cecil Cepeke Lake.
As expected, the song titles reflect this year’s focus on the general elections.
- Jonelle Thomas – Contagious – Wink Up
- David O’Garro – Ambassador of Israel – Shuffle the Deck
- Maxcine Osborne – Maxcine – Man’s Quest for Success
- Baptist Wallace – Baptist – Man in a Marse
- Henry Sweeney – Jaguar – Guilty
- Silvina Malone – Khandie – Montserrat in my DNA
- Nyota Mulcare – Black Pearl – Let Fairness Reign
- Henry Fenton – Ipa – Mama Africa
- Elton Galloway – Chipsa – Sherriff MCAP
- Davon Williams – Racatang – Duty of Silence
- Steve Weekes – Iceman – Agent of Change
- Stevel Rodney – De Rod – Still Standing
- Kevin Farrell – Nattie – Amazon Burning
- Herman Francis – Cupid – 2 Hundred Million to Spen
- James Brown – Cruza – Don Done
- Frederick Daley – Taffy – Soca Zone
- Kelvin Duberry – Tabu – Rise Up
- Edwin Martin – Red Ride – I Hate it When I’m Right
- Maggie Destouche – Maggie – Blind Spot
- Kimonna Luvelle Albert – Kimmona – Carry On
- Shane Caesar – Lord Ceasar – Exxes Sexes Exex
- Sanjarion Prince – Sanjarion – Farming
- Glasford Lee – Ras Alpha – Fantastic
- Desmond Davis – Undertaker – Turn the Money Over
- Vickie Locker – Storm – We in Trouble
- Basil Alphonso – Basil Alphonso – I Worry for this Nation
- Reinford Gibbons – Kulcha Don – Political Trickery
- String Bean – Rum
- Steve Watts – Michigan – Carnival Do That
- Steve Jeffry – GT – Pretty Baba
- Kenneth Greenaway – Yogi Lazer – Back to Montserrat
- Michael Greenaway – Sunny Money – Come Ley We
- Robert Baker – Shorty – Carnaval Fantasy
Calypso Eliminations will be held at the Carnival Village in Little Bay. Judges will select 15 to move forward into the semi-finals, which will be further whittled down to nine to vie for the crown currently held by Garnett “Sylk” Thompson.